Announcing the MCCEI Internship Program
The Maryland Center for Construction Education and Innovation, Inc. (MCCEI) is pleased to announce the creation of our new Internship Program. This program is set to place both high school and college/post-secondary students in paid summer internships in the built environment. Companies in the MCCEI Internship Program, mainly small to medium enterprises, will represent various industry sectors including architecture, engineering, construction management, and skilled trades.
Students will apply to the internship program at large where they will indicate their interest in one, or multiple, industry sectors (i.e., architecture, engineering, construction management, skilled trades). They also can state more specific requests such as civil engineering or landscape architecture.
In the early Spring of 2022, companies and students will begin the matchmaking process. MCCEI will suggest students that the companies may be interested in, and each organization will complete their standard hiring practices. Generally, companies will interview a handful of applicants from the pool of students and will hire 1 or more. As students are selected, they will be removed from the candidate pool.
Once all companies have placed their desired number of interns, all onboarding documents will be completed. Start dates for students may vary slightly but will generally fall in the beginning of June for college students, and the second half of June for high school students. High school students are expected to complete at least 100 hours during their program and college/post-secondary students are expected to complete at least 220 hours. The logistics on how the interns reach these recommended hours is to be determined between the host company and the student.
In June, MCCEI will host an Internship Program launch event where all interns and company representatives will join to network and celebrate the kick-off the program. This will allow the interns to network with their peers and other companies they would not normally have the opportunity to network with. Likewise, the companies will be able to gain visibility with a larger number of students then the one or more they hired.
During the duration of their time in the program, interns will complete a small project on their work and experiences with their host company. In addition, as a benefit to being a part of the MCCEI Internship Program, interns will have the opportunity to attend one field trip to an active construction site/developed building as well as one social event to increase their networking with peers.
Finally, the internship program will conclude with an end of summer celebration where interns will present on their projects and all participants can network for the last time. This is a great opportunity for interns and companies to discuss the possibility of internships for the following summer.
Benefits to Students
- One application to reach multiple built environment companies
- Opportunity to network with a variety of industry sectors, not only for a future job, but for connections as you enter the industry
- Ability to network with a wider group of peers then what is in your high school, college, or university
- Paid employment in your field of interest – which is great for your resume!
- Chance to win awards and receive recognition in front of industry members, educators, and community members across Maryland
Benefits to Employers
- Talent pool from across the region that your employees do not have to go out and find
- Opportunity for small and medium-sized enterprises to offer a structured internship program similar to what a large company would offer – therefore access to the same caliber of students that the large companies hire as interns
- Ability to meet and interact with students beyond the one or more your company hires
- Access to best practices, guidelines, project descriptions, and sample weekly plans provided by MCCEI
- Times to network with other companies participating in the program from a variety of industry sectors
If interested, please fill out the below appropriate form!
Internship Student Form: https://forms.gle/MCMMUBCWBBrhhk2SA
Internship Employer Form: https://forms.gle/1Z1gUbqHobrFhZSB7
Please note: this internship opportunity is paid through either hourly wages by employer or stipend.
For more information or questions, email Jennifer Sproul (firstname.lastname@example.org)